A Virus or Computer Virus is a self-replicating program or piece of script or code that make copies of itself and then either attaches itself to an existing file on the infected system or store copies of itself on the system with innocuous sounding names like ‘repair tool’, in either case you may need virus removal services at this point.
The virus is limited to spread itself only by either being transmitted or sent by an unwitting user or carried on a portable storage medium from one system to another. However, if a virus gets embedded somewhere on a network drive then anyone who opens or clicks on the infected document or file can end up getting infected as well. Professional virus removal can eliminate or in the very least minimize your risk.
Symptoms of Infection:
- Very sluggish computer performance.
- Random system lockups or crashes.
- Browser redirection – you are taken to websites you were not searching for while browsing the Internet.
- Excessive number of popup windows appearing at random while surfing the Internet.
- You are informed that your system has ‘hundreds’ of active infections and you are redirected to a website that insists you pay for and download their specific software package to perform the virus removal.
There are many good anti-virus / anti-spyware / virus removal products on the market designed to detect and remove these types of infections. McAfee and Kapersky are good but AVG and Avast! have similar products and offer a free downloadable version. Be sure to complete a ‘Full’ system scan and quarantine and remove all active infections. Configure your anti-virus software to perform ‘active’ scanning or real-time system monitoring. Virus removal can be tricky however as many times the virus can remain in cached files and re-emerge even after a virus removal effort.
- Do not install software you have downloaded from the Internet unless it has come from a known, reliable source.
- Use caution if using file sharing platforms such as LimeWire or torrent sites to download files and run virus removal software after using any of these types of schemes.
- Do not open any email attachments from unknown sources.
- Use a good anti-virus/anti-spyware application and scan your system at least weekly. Be sure your anti-virus software is totally up to date with the latest virus definitions and perform a full virus removal scan at least once weekly.
- For Windows users: Be sure to visit the Microsoft update site and download all the latest Microsoft security patches. http://www.update.microsoft.com
In some cases your system may have become unable to install anti-virus software or has become completely unusable. If your computer system has unwanted Viruses, Spyware, Trojan Horse, Malware, Worm, Rootkit, Keylogging or Adware installed on or infecting it and you would like to have one of our Virus Removal specialists clean and optimize your system please click the button below.